[XWARN] Abi Khan Horse Challenge needs ham help

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 21:31:23 CDT 2018

The Abi Khan Horse Challenge is an endurance trail ride which we have
supported for a number of years. It takes place on Saturday, August 18
and Sunday August 19.

The Saturday event starts at 7:00 AM and could take up to 9 hours
(depending on horse stamina and rider skill). Being such a long event,
we can use multiple shifts to cover it, so indicate your choice of early
or late when signing up.

Sunday's event also starts at 7:00, but typically is done around 11:00,
but could take until 1:00 if there is a slow horse.

What we do is keep track of the horses by recording their times at six
checkpoints. When is is obvious that a horse is overdue, we launch an
SAR operation. This is a fun event that is distinctly different from the
usual 5k run. The riders are very friendly and they are VERY
appreciative that we are out keeping tabs on things as the cell phone
coverage is poor along the horse trails.

This event is a good exercise for disaster preparation as we use a
directed net to collect the special traffic used to do the tracking.

I need to be out of town on Saturday, so in addition to regular
volunteers, I am seeking someone to coordinate and act as net control
that day. I will provide the necessary logging forms and other information.

Please consider coming out for this event as we'll need a good number of
volunteers to cover the long day Saturday and to repeat part of it on
Sunday.

Please contact n8ado at arrl.net to sign up.

---