[XWARN] Abi Khan Horse Challenge Still Needs some ham volunteers--it's getting to be a desperate situation!

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Mon Aug 13 20:56:26 CDT 2018

We are at least two volunteers short for the event this coming Saturday
(Aug 18). A few additional operators would allow us to assign shorter
shifts.

The Abi Khan Horse Challenge is an endurance trail ride which we have
supported for a number of years. It takes place on Saturday, August 18
and Sunday August 19. The horse trails are part of Caesar Creek State
Park in the Waynesville area.

The Saturday event starts at 7:00 AM and could take up to 9 hours
(depending on horse stamina and rider skill). Being such a long event,
we can use multiple shifts to cover it, so indicate your choice of early
or late when signing up.

What we do is keep track of the horses by recording their times at five
checkpoints. When is is obvious that a horse is overdue, we launch an
SAR operation. This is a fun event that is distinctly different from the
usual 5k run. The riders are very friendly and they are VERY
appreciative that we are out keeping tabs on things as the cell phone
coverage is poor along the horse trails.

I have just enough volunteers to cover Sunday (Aug 19), but another
relief operator would be very welcome.

Please contact Bob Baker n8ado at arrl.net as soon as possible if you can
help either day.

---