[XWARN] Upcoming events seeking ham support

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 19:17:39 CDT 2018

On Sunday, September 9, we need volunteers to support the 2018 Bike MS
Dayton. This event consists of three different rides that all start and
finish at Eastwood Metro Park. The shortest version goes out the bike
trail to Beavercreek and back. The middle one continues on to Xenia and
returns. The long one continues to Corwin (in Northern Warren County)
and returns. The ride starts at 8:00 AM and wraps up around 2:00 PM. The
schedule for the rest stops varies according to location. For example,
Corwin opens at 10:30 and closes at noon, since it is the farthest from
the start, while Beavercreek opens at 8:15 and closes at 1:30, since it
is close to the start, but needs to stay open until the long route
riders return. The organizers would also like to have radio operators
who could install in SAG vehicles and help with herding the riders back
to the finish. It would be swell to have a bike mobile operator to
follow the last riders into the finish.  If you are able to support this
event, please contact n8ado at arrl.net.

I have been contacted regarding a possible new event for us. The
organizers of Pony Wagon Days in St. Paris (near Urbana) have asked if
we would be able to help with the parade on Thursday late afternoon and
evening September 6. If I hear from 5 or 6 interested parties, I'll sign
us up for it. Contact n8ado at arrl.net.

Phil Verret KA8ZKR tells me that he is well short of the number of
volunteers he needs for the Air Force Marathon (Saturday Sept. 15). The
deadline to sign up on line is fast approaching. Here is the message
that Phil sent out earlier:

Hello All,

I’m Phil Verret, KA8ZKR, and I’m taking over from Dave Crawford as the
Ham Radio Lead Coordinator this year.  First off, thanks for your past
support!  Dave gave me the list of folks who signed up last year and I’m
sending out this email to remind you to sign up for the marathon if you
can support it again this year.  Now would be a great time to get
registered on the volunteer website.  Simply go to
http://www.usafmarathon.com/volunteer/ and enter your information.  I
know some of you have already registered and I’m happy for those who
did, but the Base Marathon committee will be meeting on 11 July and I’d
like to report a higher number of volunteers than are currently signed
up, so if you’ve been putting this off, now would be a great time to get
it done!

If you have any questions or concerns, please shoot me an email, or if
you need to talk, let me know and I’ll send you my cell phone number.

Thanks!

Phil Verret

KA8ZKR

2018 USAF Marathon Amateur Radio Lead Coordinator

KA8ZKR at arrl.net

Finally, the Kettering Holiday at Home Parade and 5k run are coming up
on Labor Day. Here is the message that Shawna sent out seeking
volunteers for that: