[XWARN] Upcoming Events seeking ham help

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Tue Jul 30 19:59:39 CDT 2019

Upcoming Events:

Abi-Khan Horse Challenge

Saturday, Aug 17 and Sunday, Aug 18

In and around Caesar Creek State Park. Need volunteers to help track
horses. We keep charts of expected transit times and can identify when a
rider has gotten off track and get help before things get bad. This is a
fun event, especially if you like horses. A 2 meter ht is usually
sufficient, if it has an extended antenna.

Also, I have a personal conflict and I am seeking someone to coordinate
the Saturday portion, but you can also take on the Sunday version, too,
if you wish. I will help with this and I will return for the Sunday portion.

On Saturday, there are three different riding distances and six
checkpoints (six volunteers). The first horses leave the camp at 7:00,
so the operator at Start/Finish will need to be there around 6:30. The
next check point around 7:00, then 7:10, then 7:20, then 7:30, then
8:00. The two checkpoints farthest out will be done before noon, the
other four are used by the other two distances and are expected to clear
around 4:00, then 4:15, then 4:30, then 5:00. The operator at the Finish
may pass along the checkpoint data to the officials once there are no
other radio ops left on course or stick around until the last horse is
in (at his discretion).

Sunday has just two distances and four checkpoints to cover. The start
sequence is the same as Saturday, but everything will wrap up by 11:00
or so.

Contact n8ado at arrl.net to volunteer or for more information. --Bob Baker

On labor day, Shawna N2TUJ is coordinating the Holiday at Home events:

Here is the Holiday at Home event info & sign up:

What: Kettering Holiday at Home 5k Race and Parade
When : Monday September 2, 2019 7 am - 12:30 pm (5k race 8 am/Parade
9:55 am/optional breakfast 5:30 am)
Where: Kettering OH meet at corner of Stroop and Far Hills in front of
Shell Gas Station
Why: Encouraging Kettering residents to spend Labor Day weekend "at
home"which gives amateur radio a chance to show residents what a
fantastic service we provide.  All operators are welcome to ride along
or walk the route as one of the last units in the parade.

Link to register -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1At3LM_V3XFXvqE0lwQhDZUFQPLOtp1HQEA99y2So23A/edit?usp=sharing.
  Leave the assignment field blank if you have no preference.

Contact Shawna Collins with questions via email sjcollins at woh.rr.com
<mailto:sjcollins at woh.rr.com>.

Thank you!

Shawna Collins, N2TUJ
sjcollins at woh.rr.com <mailto:sjcollins at woh.rr.com>
937-299-9695 (voice)

Finally, we still need many more volunteers for the Air Force Marathon.
The remaining time to sign up is limited, so do not put it off. Here's
the information from Phil KA8ZKR:

Approximately 70 amateur radio operators are needed to support the USAF
Marathon at Wright Patterson Air Force Base on Saturday, September 21,
2019 to provide the USAF Marathon Staff with emergency and logistic
communications. This world class event has over 20,000 participants,
volunteers, and spectators in attendance every year.

Amateur radio operators are indispensable in rapidly communicating
information on runner’s locations and status, heat index settings,
severe weather notifications, as well as emergencies and logistic
issues. Plus, APRS is utilized to track lead runners and “Tail End
Charlie’s”, thus allowing race officials and emergency services to more
accurately monitor the race progression.

According to Brandon Hough, the USAF Marathon Race Director, the senior
base leaders rely on the communication skills of our amateur radios
operators and use them as a vital resource.

Multiple races are held on this day including: 10K, Half Marathon, Full
Marathon, and Wheelchair. The volunteer registration website for the
USAF Marathon is now open. If you will be in the Dayton, Ohio area on
Saturday, September 21, 2019 and would like to take part in this world
class event, please go to the USAF Marathon website at
http://www.usafmarathon.com/volunteer  and click the volunteer now link,
scroll down to the amateur radio section to register. Training will be
provided prior to the event.

How to register on line:

 1.

    Go to the website above.

 2.

    Click on the Volunteer Now button.

 3.

    Acknowledge that you’re going to a new website.

 4.

    On the new website, ignore the “password” entry box near the top of
    the page. Scroll down to the “Amateur Radio Operator” section and
    click the check box for the Amateur Radio Operator Position and only
    that position.

 5.

    Scroll to the bottom, past all the other volunteer positions, and
    fill in your name and other required data.

 6.

    Check the box below the waiver paragraph and then type in your name
    for a digital signature.

 7.

    Click the “Sign Up to Volunteer” button.

 8.

    You’re done!

 9.

    You should get an automated email response from Jeanette Monaghan
    acknowledging your registration.

10.

    Contact Phil Verret if you have any questions or concerns.

*Registration closes August 31, 2019*.

If you have any questions please email:

Phil Verret, KA8ZKR

USAF Marathon Amateur Radio Lead Volunteer

KA8ZKR @ ARRL.NET

---