[XWARN] Granite Mountain Hotshots and the Yarnell Hill Fire

Jason Bowman jason.bowman.1971 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:12:41 CDT 2020

When I stopped doing the newsletter at the end of last year, I said I might
occasionally write an article.  Well, here's the first one.  I wanted to
reduce the burden on Danielle, so I decided to keep it separate from the
newsletter and just kick this out.

Don't want to spoil the article too much, but it's about communications and
decision making in a real incident response back in 2013, the Yarnell Hill
Fire in Arizona that killed 19 hotshots from the Granite Mountain Hotshots.
No amateur radio participation as far as I know, but the lessons learned
still apply to much of what we do.  As stated in the article, I greatly
simplified what actually occurred to keep the article to a manageable and
understandable size.  Links to the official reports, videos, and briefings
with plenty of pictures are at the end of the article if you want the full
details.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OqV1xsf3UDfstcTORInT46PD3UAgVFsH

Jason Bowman
m: 937-260-2870