[XWARN] Abi-Khan Horse Challenge Needs More Volunteers (Sat Aug 17, Sun Aug 23)

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Mon Aug 5 21:00:43 CDT 2019

Abi-Khan Horse Challenge *Do we have to cancel?*

We need two or three more volunteers for Saturday and two more for
Sunday.  I would really hate to tell the organizers that 2019 was the
year that ham radio couldn't help, but that's where we stand at present.
If you could help half of the time on Saturday, let me know--perhaps we
could use one person for the early "shift" and another for the late.
Note that Sunday is a relatively short day.

Note that these events are for more than just serving the public
interest. They constitute the practice drills where we hone our skills
and test our equipment for potential disaster response.

Saturday, Aug 17 and Sunday, Aug 18

In and around Caesar Creek State Park. Need volunteers to help track
horses. We keep charts of expected transit times and can identify when a
rider has gotten off track and get help before things get bad. This is a
fun event, especially if you like horses. A 2 meter ht is usually
sufficient, if it has an extended antenna.

On Saturday, there are three different riding distances and six
checkpoints (six volunteers). The first horses leave the camp at 7:00,
so the operator at Start/Finish will need to be there around 6:30. The
next check point around 7:00, then 7:10, then 7:20, then 7:30, then
8:00. The two checkpoints farthest out will be done before noon, the
other four are used by the other two distances and are expected to clear
around 4:00, then 4:15, then 4:30, then 5:00. The operator at the Finish
may pass along the checkpoint data to the officials once there are no
other radio ops left on course or stick around until the last horse is
in (at his discretion).

Sunday has just two distances and four checkpoints to cover. The start
sequence is the same as Saturday, but everything will wrap up by 11:00
or so.

Contact n8ado at arrl.net to volunteer or for more information. --Bob Baker

---