[XWARN] Ham support for area events

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 15:10:57 CDT 2019

Public service events:

Mid-East Cross Country Championship, Saturday, November 16, This event
presents the best twelve high school men and women senior runners from
Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio. Takes place in Indian Riffle
Park, 2900 Glengarry Dr. Kettering OH 45420. Races start at 11:00 and
11:30, so we need to be in place by 10:30 and we will be done by noon.
These runners are very fast so it takes multiple operators at each mile
marker to get the numbers that we report to the announcer. Optionally
join the hams for breakfast before the event.

n8ado at arrl.net <mailto:n8ado at arrl.net> to sign up.

On Thursday, November 28 (Thanksgiving Day) is the Miamisburg Turkey
Trot. I'm not the coordinator for this event, so I'll leave the details
to others, but you can find a link to contact information for Jack KM8N
at:  http://www.ohd3ares.org/

Resolution Run 5k, New Year’s Eve (Tuesday, December 31), start/Finish
at Beavercreek High School. We place lights out on the course and need
help to tow them (2 inch ball, fairly light; placement 4:00 to 5:00,
retrieval 9:00 to 10:00). There is a VE Test Session from 5:00 to 7:00
(Last chance to get a license or upgrade for 2019!). Race starts at 8:00
and takes about an hour. We plan to have the usual potluck snack table
before the race so come early and socialize. We can use as many
operators as possible. We help to light the course with headlights and
more eyes makes for better response to problems. It’s okay to just show
up to the rear of the school around 7:00 to get an assignment, but
advance notice is appreciated, especially if you are able to help with
the lights. We will use the 147.165 (+) (123.0) repeater with 146.91 (-)
as the back up.

Contact n8ado at arrl.net <mailto:n8ado at arrl.net>

By the way, I usually have events posted at http://www.ohd3ares.org/.
If you know someone who does not receive these emails that are sent out
on several reflectors and they would like to join in, point them to this
website. It's not practical for me to send messages to individuals
regarding these events, but if you wish to have me send the lists to a
reflector, enable my access to the reflector and let me know where to
send it.

The events that I post are generally listed in the DARA newsletter "RF
Carrier", the XWARN newsletter "Wavelengths", and the GCARES monthly
report. If you are the editor of another newsletter and would like to
publish the list in your periodical, please feel free to do so. I'd
appreciate receiving a copy so that I know where folks are getting their
information.  If you or your club support an event and would like to
have me include it when I send out a new request for volunteers, send
me: the name of the event with a brief description, the date and time,
the location (including meeting place), and contact information. Other
information may be listed as needed.

Finally, the 2019 edition of the Air Force Marathon is history, but it's
not too soon to start thinking about the 2020 edition. I have agreed to
take on the job of team leader for ham volunteers. The usual process of
signing up via the event website will be used again, next year, but I
have created a special mail account for stuff that doesn't need to be
seen or acted upon by the AFM staff. If you are not already in the
volunteer database and you want to get on the volunteer contact list,
send a message to that effect to afm.hams at gmail.com. I don't check the
mailbox too frequently, yet, but this mail account is strictly about the
ham team that supports the Air Force Marathon. Note that the Marathon
will take place on Saturday, September 19, 2020 and will feature the
HH-60G Pave Hawk.

Submitted by Bob Baker N8ADO