[XWARN] Field Day 2020

Bob Baker N8ADO n8ado at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 19:06:54 CDT 2020

ARRL Field Day is this coming Saturday and Sunday (June 27, 28). Once
again we will have a joint operation sponsored by XWARN and DARA. Anyone
wishing to join the activity is welcome regardless of whether or not
they are affiliated with any particular group.

In the past, we have had a picnic that was well-attended, but our
facility host has asked that we do not conduct the picnic due to the
need to minimize social contact. Accordingly, we request that you do not
come out to the operation just to "hang out". If you do not have a home
station or you wish to be mentored in setting up and operating a Field
Day station, please feel welcome to join in. It will be necessary for us
to keep the group size to a manageable number; it is OK to just show up,
but call me if you wish to know that there is an operating seat
available (try 147.165 (+,123.0) or 937-477-3431).

This year, there is a change to the rules that makes it practical to
participate from home and still identify with the group. Should you
choose to do so and assuming that you operate a maximum of one
transmitter, use your call sign and your exchange will be 1D OH (one
delta oscar hotel). For the complete set of rules go to
www.arrl.org/field-day  Keep a log. (Computer based logging is SO
convenient--check out the reasonably priced N3FJP software). At the
conclusion of your Field Day operation, go to
http://field-day.arrl.org/fdentry.php and fill out the form. Identify
the group with which you wish to affiliate on the line for "Club or
Group Name". For this operation, you can use "XWARN", "DaytonARA", or
"XWARN-DARA" as it suits you. You do not need to submit a log, but you
are supposed to upload a dupe sheet (see the info package on the arrl
page to see what that means, if you aren't familiar with it; logging
software will generate dupe sheets for you).

For the on-site operation, set-up will commence at 10:00AM EDT on
Saturday and the radios will go on after 18:00 UTC (2PM). We will have a
significantly simplified equipment arrangement, but we can always use
help putting it all away on Sunday, beginning shortly after noon.

The location will be as before: Beavercreek Twp Fire Station 61 on
Dayton Xenia Rd at Orchard Lane. Bring your own chair and bring your own
water and food. Please, no pets! Consider wearing a mask whenever
practical. If you have a piece of equipment that you wish to try out, we
will try to help you get it on the air.

In an effort to keep things as simple as possible, there will be a few
procedures that need to be followed, so so not expect everything to be
as you remember. The point of this exercise is to learn how we can serve
public agencies in time of communications emergency. That is the goal.
Hopefully, things will return to more normal conditions and we can get
back to having a picnic and making fellowship opportunities together
with the serious side of what we do.

Questions? n8ado at arrl.net
Bob Baker N8ADO
Field Day Chair